Sunday, May 15, 2005

You're the next contestant on "Guess that Writer!"

"I sat on a park bench and watched a spider weave its web. The silken strands waved gently in the wind, so delicate, so fragile. I imagined what it would look like covered in dew, in the early hours of the morning. I thought I would come back the next day and see.

I suddenly remembered when I was young, my mother would save the cardboard tops off the bakery cake boxes, and the very last amount of the 10-cent bottles of hairspray she bought, and we would go out and capture nature. That's what she would call it. Capture nature. She had always wanted to be a photographer, but since my father died in the war, she had to work as a secretary for a sleazy city lawyer. So we would take our flimsy cardboard box tops and our cheap hairspray and find leaves and dead bugs and place them on the cardboard and spray them so they would stick. And mother would place them somewhere prominent until the next time we got a bakery cake or she ran out of hairspray. And once, I found a fell spider web, and I found it so incredibly beautiful that I immediately sprayed it onto my box top and ran carefully home with it. But my mother was so upset that she threw it away and I was sent to bed without supper. I never found out why it was that I was punished for capturing a spider web.

I watched the people playing and laughing in the park around me. A small boy suddenly ran up to the bench where I sat, where a small rubber ball had rolled. He stared up at me as he clutched his ball, and I gave him such a look of pity and hate, that I suppose he was frightened, and he ran away. He was a poor boy, I knew right away. He had a lean, scavenger-like look about him, as if his mother had too many children for her single-mother income to support. His mother probably washed clothing for a living, and sent her many children to play in the park until nightfall. It sickened me. I hated those tiny poverty-stricken children, with their bright eyes and thievish ways. If no one could afford to take care of these children, then they had no right to exist.

Disgusted, I left my bench, deciding not to come back again."

24 comments:

Just me said...

ooh, ooh! It's Dr. Suess!
-Jillian

Anonymous said...

That's really weird. I was SO just thinking of saying Dr. Seuss too (as a joke of course). Whoah man.
-Jen

Just me said...

dude, it's because great minds think alike!
-Jillian

Beckah said...

Maybe not. Guess again ;)

Anonymous said...

Ha, great minds think for themselves! (says the Genie off of One Saturday Morning)
-Jen

Anonymous said...

Ha, great minds think for themselves! (says the Genie off of One Saturday Morning)
-Jen

Beckah said...

And twice why?

Anonymous said...

Weird. I don't know. Obviously it can't be MY computer, since mine is Canadian (aka: perfect).

Beckah said...

I love you sooo much Jen.

Just me said...

AGH! this is freaky! when I typed "great minds think alike" i had that stupid genie pop into my head! creepy...are you reading my brain waves?
-Jillian

Anonymous said...

Reading?! READING?! Of course not! They are being transmitted through the air through the electromagnetic fields, transported to my inner ear canal, hit my auditory nerve and follow the neurological pathways to my frontal cortex, fool.
:D

Beckah said...

Um, wow. Interesting, but no one has guessed right yet.

pev said...

Gerald Lund

Beckah said...

WRONG!

Just me said...

The dude that wrote bell jar?
-Jillian
(as found in the book "cool dudes who write cool books")

Beckah said...

It was a woman who wrote the bell jar, and no, it wasn't.

Anonymous said...

ah pooh...
-Jillian

Beckah said...

Gosh this is fun. Keep guessing!

Anonymous said...

This comment spot is really long. I guess that there is an 'E' and a 'T' in his/her name.
- Jen

Beckah said...

There is an "e." No "t."

Just me said...

You wrote it!
-Jillian

Beckah said...

DING DING DING! YOU ARE THE LUCKY WINNER TONIGHT! YOU WIN A.....UM.........BIG DOSE OF SELF-SATISFACTION! And yes, it was a trick question, but I was trying to see who would actually guess it.

Just me said...

oh yeah, I rock!
-Jillian
p.s. i will settle with a gold star on my mental wall for a prize

Beckah said...

Have fun with that...(and good for you)

Creative Commons License
Into the Maze of a Mind by Rebekah Whittaker is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.