Monday, April 25, 2005

It's just what this world needs: nylons and juicy steaks.

Today has been a rather trying day. But before I start on today, I'm going to rewind to yesterday. So I went to take a nap at about 1:45, and I figured I would give myself about a half an hour to sleep before I got up and started doing my homework. But I kept re-setting my alarm clock until I finally got up at 3:30. Whoops.

But I actually worked really hard on my homework and got a lot done in a rather short amount of time. And I'm really bummed that I can't remember what I wrote, because the stupid computer lost my blog! Ah! But I do remember this.

This is a metaphor for life that I thought of on my walk along the river. I was looking up at the sky and wondering when the storm was coming in, when I realized that if I wasn't careful I might trip and fall. And I was like, hey, metaphor for life. Because I think that if you are so focused on spiritual things, that you're going to miss out on some of the good things of this earthly life. And it works the other way too. If you're so focused on the earthly things that you're not looking where you're going, you're going to get smacked in the face by a branch, which would probably be a pretty big wake-up call from the Lord, if you ask me. But you know that principle, where too much of something is never good? We were talking about this in seminary last year, and I still remember it, but it works both ways. Like if you spend all your time watching TV or doing school stuff, you're going to miss out on some huge spiritual experiences. BUT it goes the other way too. If you spend all your time reading your scriptures, you may miss out on some service or missionary oppurtunities. Interesting thought, isn't it? BroVo was way cool.

So today. It felt like I hadn't slept all night (which never consititutes a good day) but we broke our record in early morning seminary. And we actually got Steven to go. Wow. Thanks for keeping your promise, buddy. Which means that we get to have a little breakfast social thing next Monday, which should be fun. But after that, it all went down-hill.

Pre-Cal was really boring, and we were doing pretty complicated stuff, so I couldn't really zone out. Luckily she only gave us two problems to do, they just take so long. Then we had choir, and since Jacobson is still out with his wife and new baby, we had this old guy who had no idea what he was talking about. He spent half the class period telling us about how he has no musical talent and how he spent half of his life trying to learn to play the harmonica. And you know how someone can talk for forever but still never say anything? It was like that. He would insert these random stories into his narrative, and I was so close to falling asleep. But then we actually sang, and Ben lead us, and he's really funny to watch when he leads music, especially music he's not used to leading. Then Comp Aps was of course the most boring thing in the world, and we only spent ten minutes typing. Then we spent the REST OF THE PERIOD taking notes about tables. So I was finally relieved to go to AP, and what happens? The entire class gets humiliated because we're not ready for the test (which is freaking next week/we haven't even started the review) and how this is crunch time and we'll all going to fail. Yeah, that's a real happiness-booster for ya. I wanted to cry. It wasn't like we all didn't already know that, but the fact that he pointed it out so degradingly didn't help my mood.

But enough complaining. I think the day's looking up. It's sunny and warm outside, I have homework but it's just busy work so I can let my mind wander while I do it, and I had chocolate after school. That always helps. You remember that song from Charlotte's Web, the chin-up song? Yeah, I think I want that to be my philosophy for a little while. Goodness knows I need it. So I hope you all are having a wonderful day, and if you're not, I hope it gets better.

Ciao, my friends!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

so why do I have to read your blog to get to know you beckah..I feel pathetic....hehehehehehe..
me pathertic..
..pathetic..i misspelled it...and i mispelled that to..too..
WAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!
I need sleep..I'm going to do my assignment now...
-isha

Creative Commons License
Into the Maze of a Mind by Rebekah Whittaker is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.