Saturday, March 25, 2006

Save an Iraqi. Eat a sniper.


I absolutely love this painting, The Broken Pitcher. I saw it at the Legion of Honor in San Francisco, and fell in love with it. I'm pretty sure I stood there staring at it for at least ten minutes. It's much better up close and big, where you can see her eyes. It looks like she's staring right at you, so much sadness and guilt in her eyes. Oh, it's beautiful.

And I'm sorry if my title is a bit inappropriate, Dad said it last night, and I must say I liked it, even though it is a rather large slander. I found it funny. And it's true. I wish we had never gotten ourselves into this war in the first place. We were stupid to do so. And now we're all getting sucked into it, whether we like it or not. Oh, what a tangled web we weave. That's why I like those little reminders, in songs, or movies, or books, about where we're headed, and what we can do to stop it, or at least how to promote awareness. Ignorance is one of the biggest hindrances to action. People don't do anything simply because they don't know. And we could point fingers all night as to who's fault that is, but I'd rather not get into a large debate. I have my opinion, and others may come talk to me if they wish to throw ideas around. I try to avoid political debates, mostly because there's a lot I don't know. I try to avoid learning about the mistakes of our government, so I don't watch the news or keep up with current events. It's pretty much all the same now, anyway.

But enough of that. Today was fast Sunday. I like fast Sunday. Even though it means my stomach deciding to speak up at the most inconvenient times, it certainly is a good reminder. I don't think about the Lord as much as I ought to during the day, so it's nice to have a day set aside so that I can get into the habit. And I'm a coward and didn't get up and bear my testimony like I said I was going to. I just missed the opportunities and was stupid and never got up when I got the chance. I just don't like crying in front of everyone, it embarrasses me, and it's an inevitability that I'll cry. But yeah, I'm an idiot. Maybe next time. I'll have to have someone pinch me or something so that I'll be sure to get up. But other than that, it was a really nice Sunday. All my meetings were fun (Young Women's consisted of me, Melissa, Annalicia, Karen and Brooklyn) and we had waffles for dinner yay! Then we went singing, which wasn't very exciting until we decided to go to Safeway and sing in the entryway, which has really good acoustics. We sang a bunch of choir songs for about an hour, it was really cool. And I love the weird looks we get from people. Though that one guy that asked us if we all had a personal relationship with Jesus was a little creepy. And I froze my butt off sitting inside the little ice container thing. I really wanted someone to walk by though and see me, that would have been fun. I like creeping people out. But not seriously. Just for fun.

You know, I was just listening to a commercial about the Ten Commandments (I guess they made a remake), and I wonder why no one has ever made an accurate movie. I guess because it wouldn't sell, but I'm interested in seeing a movie where Moses really does have trouble speaking, where it shows that he's a man, and therefore has the obstacles that come with being a mortal. Does that make sense? I think it would be cool.

So life is going pretty good right now. I've got another fest planned, General Conference is coming up, house-sitting is fun (though that stubborn cat is sometimes a pain), and if the weather gets better I'm going to have a picnic in the park or something. It's so nice just to relax. I've been going and going for so long, not being able to get rest, that it's so nice just to slow down. Though I don't sleep well at nights. That's when the coughing comes back and it keeps me up. So then I end up sleeping late and wasting half the day. Bummer. We'll see though. Hopefully I'll get better before school starts again, because I hate being sick at school. It is no fun. I can't wait to get back to work in choir though. We've got some serious work cut out for us, and I hope that the people who don't care now will come to care, because this means a lot to a lot of us. A lot to a lot of us. Ha. What fun. Anyway, I think I'll split. Like a log. Shalom!

6 comments:

Marianna Wolff said...

I wondered if you knew the symbolism of the broken pitcher?

I love you lots, dear daughter!

Mom
XOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXO

Beckah said...

I did actually. And it makes it so much more meaningful. I love you too Mom! Hopefully talk to you soon!

Liz said...

That is a beautiful picture. Nothing can compare to seeing the real thing up close. I love you lots, Smalls, and I'm glad you have the opportunity to slow down and take a break. Enjoy it, and know that I miss you and think of you daily. I try to describe how awesome you are to my friends up here who haven't met you, and I just can't do you justice. You're just too durn great.

Katelyn said...

Not sure if I like that quote haha... I have a friend who's a sniper and I'm not sure if he'd taste that great. But I do agree with you that this 'war' has gone considerable too far... ah well, what are we going to be able to do about it? That's what's so frustrating for me...

Just me said...

That is a cool picture...I love looking at art, and I hate it when you're rushed through museums! They only gave us two hours in the Louvre...but I'm not bitter. *glares*
Anyway, ditto's on the whole coughing thing. Luckily I manage to sleep through most of it, but I wake up with the hugest headaches and my abs hurt too, which is a fairly good sign I spent a majority of the night hacking up a lung.
I like it when life goes well. Even if the reason why it goes well is confusing, but I figure, as long as things keep going well.
I think Moses should have a lisp. Or a really high, girly voice. Or just be mute and talk through interprative moments. Though the last one might be slightly sacreligous.
-Jillian
p.s. i got up to blow my nose in sacrament meeting, and apparently a large majority of the congregation - including the two guys holding the mics - thought i was bearing my testimony. Awkward...curse snot!

isha said...

what is meaning?!?!?!?!?

and yeah..I REALLY like that picture...it is very nice to look at, the artist really captured so much!
-isha

Creative Commons License
Into the Maze of a Mind by Rebekah Whittaker is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.