Monday, September 05, 2005

John and Mary had never met. They were like two hummingbirds who had also never met.


I'm sorry to Peter for stealing his picture, but this is so amazing. I love it so much! These are my good friends Evan, Gary, and Brad. I can only imagine what was going on at this moment.

Hey howdy hey and a hullabaloo to all my wonderful friends out there! I know I haven't written in a very long time, but to be frank, I am not sorry at all. I guess I just haven't really wanted to write down what I was thinking or doing for a while. Secret Jedi activity that cannot be mentioned. But yeah, school's ok. I don't really like it that much, but it's not too difficult so I'm living through it. I have early morning seminary, no first period (which is nice), Psychology (which is really fun, I have it with Raage and Mike and Jason and it's fun), Choir (which is sooo frickin good this year! We're going to kick butt. And we have 26 guys!), Health 2 (which is a stupid and boring class, but I have it with Mollie and Elly and Coop), and then AP Comp (which is hard but I'm learning a lot and we have a good intelligent group). But that makes three classes with Raage, and then I have three next semester as well! It's great. And I only have choir with Steven, but he's a loser, so why would I want classes with him anyway! ; ) But yeah, it's tolerable, I suppose. But I'm not auditioning for the play, which is the Foreigner, cause there really aren't any parts I'm interested in. Or approve of. But I have to get a job anyway, so maybe this is my opportunity to do so and not die of exhaustion or stress.

I know I mentioned this before, but I love the night! There's such an energy that flows and gives you life. "Night juices" is what Steve calls it, but I prefer something a little more sacred. In fact, I can't even really think of a word or even a phrase that adequately describes it. I wish I lived a life where I could be nocturnal and sleep all day and then be up and doing things at night. Too bad most of society does it the other way, so I would really be able to work with anyone. Maybe if I become a writer I'll be able to do it that way. I get most of my inspiration and energy from the night anyway. I don't know. Maybe I'll try it some day.

You know, I'm not one to openly express my political views and all, but I do wish that we didn't have to fight over everything. We had to fight to free people, yes, but what about all the civilians that were killed in the process? Those people aren't free. In fact, quite the opposite. It would be a lot more convenient if the two opposing leaders merely dueled, or had a fist fight, and (according to the codes of war) whoever lost would have to give up their power. Then they wouldn't be dragging other people's husbands or wives or children into the whole she-bang. It would merely be a contest between the people who actually want the power, and leave all the rest of us out of it. So in the epic words of Calvin from Calvin and Hobbes: "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." We certainly are a messed-up people.

Well, enough thinking for today. It's a holiday, not made for coherent sentences. But I'd better go anyway, since Melissa and I are going to try to pop down to the Baxter's and wish a wonderful birthday to a certain Mr. Mike Baxter, who is turning fifteen today. How weird. I just can't imagine that Mike and Dan are the same age. How weird. I guess because Dan's a year ahead in high school, and he's larger in stature, but it's just weird. So happy birthday Mike, even though you'll probably never read this. Hope to see you all at the dance! Love to all! Shalom

5 comments:

Liz said...

BECKAH!!!!!!!! I love that picture! I'm so happy right now. And Rebekah Jon Whittaker, if your school is doing the Foreigner, YOU MUST AUDITION!! It's a fabulous show, and one of my new favorites! They did it up at Playmill this year. Ryan Simmons played Charlie (he also played Albert in "Birdie"), JD and Christian played the bad guys, and Kjersti played Betty and its wonderful and I'm so jealous of you. I also love and miss you a lot.

Beckah said...

Oh I don't know. I should, but I really need to get a job, and I think that the audition sign-up sheet is filled by now. So don't make me feel guilty after I already had to make such a big decision! (And I can't spell that word). But I have to go mail Peter's package, and call YOU to see what I need to send you, which I won't be able to send today, but it's a start. Love you!

Anonymous said...

Hehe, I'm glad you liked the picture. I whole-heartedly agree with you about finding alternative ways to wage war. I think the top minds of the country should play a game of chess, or the fencing champions square of, or even a game of capture the flag! But unfortunatly, those aren't going to work for several reasons. The first and most basic reason is that men like to fight. It's a basic part of our nature that is very hard to escape from. We generally like weapons, and we want to be able to uset those weapons. We want something to show that we are indeed, men. Of course, there are other contests that could decide these things, but there are other reasons war is inevitable. One is that people are also greedy. People who have power want more power. Wars won mean more power, land, and wealth. It also means more protection for the winner. If Japan had challenged the USA to a Chess game instead of attacking Pearl Harbor, I'm sure we would have declined, and it would all have been over. Even if we hadn't, and Japan won the game, would we have just handed our entire country over to them? Not without a fight. And the same thing goes for Nazi Germany and Communist Russia. So as good as it may sound, alternatives to war or not practical. I do agree with you that wars should not involve women, children or innocent civilians. That is when it turns from war to terrorism. If anything, it would be good to at least get soldiers to a confined area without innocents, and let them fight it out without fear of killing civilians. Wow, that turned out to be really long, and probably way more in depth than either of us wanted. Good blog, BTW.
-Peter

Beckah said...

S'ok. I found it very insightful, so thank you. I know that there is a terrible price for freedom, and I suppose if it was absolutely necessary, than I would do all I could to defend my freedom. I just don't like the terror and carnage that always goes with it.

Anonymous said...

Agreed. :)

Creative Commons License
Into the Maze of a Mind by Rebekah Whittaker is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.