Wednesday, September 28, 2005

I'll tell myself that I never needed anybody anyway


The power of dance-Dance can fill you with such joy and comfort. When you become one with the music and it moves you, and you are no longer a part of the world. You become a spirit, a whisper of nature. The cares of the world are lifted off your body and you float, lifted by the passion that controls your movements. Your body has become a testament of your joys, your sorrows, your fears. All of your feeling has become movement. Dance can express what words cannot.
"We dance for laughter, we dance for tears
We dance for madness, we dance for fears
We dance for hopes, we dance for screams
We are the dancers, we create the dreams."
~Anonymous

The power of peace-I went to a peace rally this last weekend. It was quite interesting. There were many things said that I agreed with, and I was glad to be there as an advocate for peace. There was a wonderful band there called Trendy Indies, and they had some good, clean, peaceful songs that I quite enjoyed. But while I (and the other members of SFT present) was there to promote a peaceful attitude, there were many high school students there who were campaigning against the war. I agree, I don't wish the war to continue, I want to bring peace to our nation by bringing our soldiers home, but what they were doing was completely counter-productive to our message. They held obscene and offensive signs and were promoting anti-Bush attitudes. All that is accomplishing is making the community non-sympathetic to our cause. You cannot fight war with war. We are demonstrating for a peaceful attitude, which includes peaceful actions and the goal to unite as peacemakers to change the world. It is pointless to offend others.
"We cannot change the past, but we can change our attitude toward it. Uproot guilt and plant forgiveness. Tear out arrogance and seed humility. Exchange love for hate-thereby, making the present comfortable and the future promising."
~Maya Angelou

The power of friendship-Steven and I don't really get to see each other very much anymore, because we have such conflicting schedules. The times when we see each other and talk to each other most are those wonderful Sunday evenings when I go help him with the racks. I look forward to that time, when we actually get to talk and learn more about each other. This Sunday, for example, was probably one of the more enjoyable evenings we've had together. After completing the racks, we drove up a lonely dirt road and sat on the hood of the car and gazed at the stars while talking. We talked of many things, of our hopes and dreams, of fears and comforts. It was nice, just talking together after hardly seeing each other, being so busy with other things. What tremendous gifts little evenings like that are.
"What is a friend? A single soul dwelling in two bodies."
~Aristotle

The power of song-We went singing again this Sunday afternoon, 2 1/2 hours this time. It was so amazing. I griped a bit, it's true, but I was grateful for the opportunity afterward. We sang to many different people, some in need, and some just to brighten their day. It's so nice to know that you're helping someone feel better, just by doing something that you enjoy. I know I appreciate the beauty of music, and the calming peace it gives you. The simple pleasure of listening to a beautiful voice, a melodic piano, or a soothing guitar can change your mood and day within an instant. It's not a coincidence that the Lord gave us the gift of music on this earth, to share and to uplift others. Music can be harmful, of course, but the overall benefits of good music are astronomical.
"Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life."
~Berthold Auerbach

The power of life-We should live each day better than the last, constantly striving to do build our character and filling our minds and hearts with knowledge and experience. Life is a gift. Take it, enjoy it, use it. And show gratitude for the small and simple things that are given you.
"There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle."
~Albert Einstein

Shalom

6 comments:

Beckah said...

Sure, why not? You like Pacman, then? The old school one? I always liked all the old-school video games and the like.

isha said...

weirdo's! hahahah lol...too true beckah...ah, your blog entries always have to be so philosophical..heheeh lol...*graumbls..."makes the REST of us look sooo stupid..." hehehe lol....talk to you later, even tho you're in the next room, and I hear the mai hee song, and am rocking out to it!
-isha

Just me said...

wow...you'd think you were in A.P. comp or something...
-Jillian

Liz said...

You continue to amaze me! I love reading your thoughts and learning about what's going on in your life. I love you!

Anonymous said...

Hey Beckah! We haven't talked much recently, and that saddens me. It sounds like you have a great friendship with Steven, and I can only hope that I find someone like that down here. Anyways, take care!

Beckah said...

Ah ha! But I got your letter today and I replied to it, so hopefully you'll get it very soon. And yes, we do have a nice friendship. He's a pretty good kid.

Creative Commons License
Into the Maze of a Mind by Rebekah Whittaker is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.